Setup Q.com Email on Windows 8
Since the Windows 8 email client does not support POP3, this article discusses 3 ways to view your POP3 email.
- The quickest way is to access your POP3 email using webmail.
- The most reliable way is to download a desktop email application that does support POP3 like Windows Live Essentials mail (download), or Microsoft Outlook. Then follow the instructions found on the Email Client Setup page.
- Or you can link your POP3 email address to a "Microsoft account". (not recommended or supported by CenturyLink tech support)
Before we start, let's cover a couple of things.
- Q: What is a "Microsoft account"?
- A: A "Microsoft account" can be an email address that you use to sign in to services like Hotmail.com, Live.com, MSN.com, Messenger, SkyDrive, Windows Phone, Xbox LIVE, Office 365, or Outlook.com.
- Q: Where do I get a "Microsoft account"?
- A: Go to Outlook.com. Select "Sign up now".
- Q: I have a "Microsoft account", what now?
- A: You are ready to start, keep reading.
How to link a POP3 email address to a "Microsoft account"
1. Go to Outlook.com. Enter your "Microsoft account" and "password". Select "Sign in".
If you don't have an account, you can sign up for a Microsoft Account here. Follow the on screen instructions, then come back to this page when you are done.
2. Select the "Gear".
3. Select "More mail settings".
4. Select "Sending / receiving email from other accounts".
5. Select "Add an email account".
6. Select "Advanced options".
7. Do the following:
- 1. Enter your "Full Email Address"
- 2. Enter mail.q.com for the Server address
- 3. Enter 995 for the Incoming Port
- 4. Select Use SSL
- 5. Enter your "Full Email Address" for the User name
- 6. Enter your "Password"
- 7. Select "Next"
8. Select "Your inbox".
9. Select "Save".
10. Select "Go to your Inbox".
11. Go to your Windows 8 desktop. Select "Mail".
12. Enter your "Microsoft account" and "password". Select "Save".
If your are adding a second "Microsoft account", skip to step 14.
13. You will get an email from Microsoft wanting you to verify that you own the email address that you linked. Select the link in the email. You are done!
14. Open the charm bar. Using:
- Mouse: Move your mouse to the very top-right of the screen
- Touchscreen: Swiping in from the right-hand side of the screen
- Keyboard: Hold down the "Windows Key" + C at the same time
15. Select "Settings".
16. Select "Accounts".
17. Select "Add an account".
18. Select the account you have, either "Hotmail" (hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com) or "Outlook" (outlook.com).
19. Enter your "Microsoft account" and "password". Select "Connect".
20. If you haven't done so already, select the link in the email from Microsoft wanting you to verify that you own the email address that you linked. You are done!